Monday, 1 March 2010

Chrissy's Day 13: Slavery

Summary of Romans 6:15-23

So should we think that sin doesn't matter because Grace will take care of us? No! If you are a slave, you're a slave. You can be a slave to badness or be free in goodness.

Thanks to God cause you've been set free from badness and can live in goodness. Death was the only benefit of badness but the benefit of goodness is real life, forever-life in Jesus.

Reflection

I've made up some words today - badness and forever-life. I'm just trying to put Romans in to my own words to help me to process it.

I'm pondering the meaning of slavery. What does it mean to be a slave to sin? What does it mean in light of the things I was blogging about yesterday - the idea of corporate sin.

Actually, I think perhaps slavery makes more sense when thought of corporately. If corporate sin is tied to culture as I suggested yesterday it is easy to see how one becomes bonded to it. Culture is nigh on impossible to escape. Don't you find that? Even the parts of our own culture that we dislike we struggle to break free from.

Example... hmmm... theoretically, I dislike consumerism and materialism (or as our minister Garry would say, the idol of More). I'd like to live a simple and unfettered life but I'd also really like to tell you all about the gorgeous new duvet cover I got for my birthday... But more than that, I perpetuate the situation by encouraging others to be materialistic like me. I don't know anyone who has broken free from materialism except perhaps people who live away from other society like the Amish or some Catholic nuns. And somehow I don't think that's what God had in mind for us.

Given all that, what does Paul mean that we can be set free from slavery to sin? I guess the question is - what does the Christian life look like? And to rephrase that to include the corporate concept - what does the Christian community look like?

Prayer

Dear God,

I have so many questions.
But I think that you don't mind it when I ask questions - thanks for that! Thank you for understanding and accepting my confusion and misunderstanding.

Please help me to understand what the christian community and life should look like.
Please help me to understand what it means to be free.

Thanks for everything you've taught me so far this lent.

I want to be your servant, your vessel.

Amen

x
Chrissy

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP