Wednesday, 3 March 2010

Chrissy's Day 15: "For what I want to do I do not do"

Summary of Romans 7:13-25

So, is even the good law bad? Nope!

Sin hid inside the law so that it could really wreak havoc and really be shown up for what is it - sin.

The law is spiritual but I am just flesh and blood. I am completely bewildered by the stuff I do. I don't do the things I want to do. Instead I do the things I don't want to do! I do this even though I think the law is great and want to follow it!

But actually, it's got to the point where it isn't me that is doing the bad things it is the sin that lives inside me.

Who will save me?

Jesus.

Reflection

A bit of a crazy passage this one. You can totally feel Paul's torment (and really relate to it). He wants to be a good guy but even when he tries really really hard, he trips up and does something stupid or fails to carry through with his good plans.

Oh, how familiar is that. How often have I made a resolution (how about this one - blog everyday for 46 days!) and although I want to keep it, that sin that lives inside me stops me from fulfilling my promise as well as I'd like to.

But to me, verses 24 & 25 has the bit we should be focusing on.

"... Is there no one who can do anything for me?... The answer, thank God, is that Jesus Christ can and does."
Thinking back over the messages from the last few days, I'm thinking that maybe we shouldn't even bother with worrying about what we do or don't do or want to do or don't want to do. Because Jesus has taken care of it. 

We have died to sin - we are free from it's clutches. We don't have to worry about it anymore. It has no power over us. We are alive in righteousness!

Hallelujah! God is good.

So why doesn't it feel like I'm free?

Prayer

Dear God,

I can so relate to what Paul is saying in this passage about wanting to be good but being unable to.
When I find myself in a pickle over this, please remind me that you have defeated sin.
I want you keep my eyes on you, not sin, and not myself. I want you to be my vision.

Keep teaching me Lord cause I am still so confused.

I want to be your servant, your vessel.

Amen
x
Chrissy

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP