Sunday, 28 February 2010

Chrissy's Day 12: Some answers!

Doing something a bit different today. Instead of the usual read a passage, summarise it, reflect on it and pray, I'm just going to write a reflection because I feel like God spoke to me today.

After writing yesterday's post I was talking about it with Mike. He asked me how I felt the lenten project was going and if I had learnt anything. I expressed how I felt that I was asking lots of questions but not getting any answers.

Well, God must have heard my frustration because he answered some questions for me today. God is good!

So yesterday I was saying that I was confused about what sin actually is. I'm not convinced that our focus on individual sin is what God is really concerned about. Did God die because I am impatient with my husband? There has to be more to it than that.

Today's sermon at church was on Romans 1:18-32.

Garry started the sermon by saying "today I'm going to talk about sin". (My paraphrase!)

I sat up in my seat. Really?

Garry said "I don't think God's primary concern is individual sin".

I almost jumped out of my seat. Wow! God's talking to me.

He went on to explain that he believes God is more concerned about corporate sin than individual sin.

Hallelujah! That's it. I knew that this sin business had to be bigger than me.

So what does that mean? Here's what I reckon.

Our culture views everything on an individual level. Everyone is responsible for their own actions and can have influence over others but can't be held responsible for bad stuff others do. According to our culture, salvation is individual too. Everyone must say the sinners prayer and have a personal faith in God.

Those concepts haven't sat right with me for quite some time but I haven't really known why or what I do believe.

I think God sees things differently from us. God is not confined by our culture.

There are things that we as a group - whether the family unit, local community, nation, human race - do that is sinful. Child abuse is one example, neglect of the environment is another.

Certainly we don't all abuse children physically, but we do contribute to a society and culture that allows people to live in poor housing, without education or adequate nutrition - all things that are associated with child abuse. We allow hopelessness and hurt to rule people's lives. You and I are responsible for child abuse.

Romans 1:18-20 says that the truth of God is plain but we suppress the truth. However, because the truth is plain to see we are without excuse.

I'm at the end of my thoughts for now. I realise I've cut it a bit short but I think I need to sleep on these ideas some more.

x
Chrissy

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP