Thursday, 18 February 2010

Beauty4ashes: "Ashes, ashes, we all fall down!"

Tonight was my first time that I can recall receiving the imposition of ashes during a liturgy that began the season of Lent. This is my first year worshipping in a liturgical church, and I am really finding great value in the seasons of the church. I had hoped that by the time the 7pm service rolled around, I would have figured out how I was going to observe Lent. The usual thoughts went through my head--Give up chocolate? I don't think so. Meat? But why? Maybe I should only let myself get no more than seven hours of sleep each day. In the end, had no plan for self-discipline that inspired me by the start of the Ash Wednesday evening service. The thought spoken by my pastor as he made the sign of the cross on my forehead seemed a good place to start though: From dust you have come, and to dust you will return. He wasn't talking just to me; he was talking to all of us side by side, gathered around the altar.

I have tried to observe Lent on my own for several years, but doing it apart from a community of other Lent observers has made keeping my focus difficult. I guess that is why I was so glad to hear Mike and Christine were undertaking this lenten project. We all grow better in community, right? But this year has been one of transition for me in many ways, and I am removed from the community of my past. Work has kept me from being as engaged as I would like to be in the Christian community where I am now, and even my husband is traveling much of the time. I am a bit isolated.

I guess that is why it stood out to me to hear this call to community repentance in the Old Testament reading in tonight's liturgy: "Yet even now," declares the LORD, "return to me with all your heart, with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning; and rend your hearts and not your garments."...Call a solemn assembly; gather the people. Consecrate the congregation; assemble the elders; gather the children, even nursing infants. Let the bridegroom leave his room, and the bride her chamber...Let the priests, the ministers of the LORD, weep and say, "Spare your people, O LORD...Why should they say among the peoples, 'Where is their God?'" (excerpts from Joel 2 verses 12-17).

After reflecting on this passage, I think my lenten observance will be found in a solemn assembly with God's people, reflecting on our need for him, all he has done for us, and our representation of his great name and love to the world. I am looking forward to this blog for this purpose. I also am going to make a plan to participate in the special services and Sunday school class our church is having to focus on Lent.

Thanks, Mike and Christine, for starting this site!

1 comments:

Chrissy from Silver Jandals 19 February 2010 at 5:04 pm  

I'm so glad you've decided to join us. I know I am already getting lots out of the experience after only a few days and know you will too.

Cool to hear that you are going to a liturgical church now. I remember way back when we first met that you wanted to give it a go.

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP